Friday, March 26, 2010

MAGNOLIA

A rare, warm day, over 60 degrees, surrounded by days of rain. And fortunately, it’s a day I set aside for painting.


The backyard is a busy, elaborate place, full of trees and flowers and changing shadows. It’s always a challenge to predict where the sun will swing and how it will affect the view. I choose the star magnolia as my focus, knowing that it will be in full sun within an hour.

The grass is a vivid spring green. Everything is intensely green. This is going to be a really green painting. Maybe that’s okay. It’s refreshing after the browns of winter.

3 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Glad to see you're out painting in the sunshine, Karen! Beautiful tree and light.

Karen Lewis said...

Thanks!

It was a beautiful day. Sometimes I think I don't really see the day unless I paint it.

Celeste Bergin said...

oooo Karen--your comment is as divine as your painting: "Sometimes I think I don't really see the day unless I paint it".
Love that light in your magnolia painting.