Saturday, November 9, 2013

LETCHWORTH STATE PARK

Upper Letchworth Falls, 9 x 12 oil
September
On our way from Cleveland to Pittsburgh, my husband and I are visiting Rochester, NY.  Yeah, I know, it's about 5 hours' drive out of the way.  We had planned to visit Niagara Falls while we were there, but I didn't know that the best views were from Canada, so we don't have our passports.  So we are sight-seeing south of Rochester when we find this lovely state park with three good-sized waterfalls in it.  And hey, who needs the biggest waterfall?

I am enchanted with the shale rock formations, which are so different from the ubiquitous basalt of the Northwest.  How to show the fracture patterns, yet keep the painting simple?  Downriver from here, there are shelves in the shale that look like they were cut with a ruler.  How does something like that happen?  Pattern and randomness are having a tug of war.

No comments: