Saturday, September 15, 2007

DIABLO LAKE OVERLOOK




Today is supposed to be mostly sunny. Most of the morning, clouds have socked in the Visitors’ Center, but it’s beginning to clear, so we head out to Diablo Lake. Wind is whipping up the lake, shaking the trees like feather dusters. It takes a while to find a spot where I think my easel will stay set up. At the front of the viewpoint, where the cliff reaches out into the wind, there’s an updraft that leaves the grass and lower tree branches relatively undisturbed. Curious that the calmest spot is the one closest to the beating wind.


I set up to paint in the island of quiet, but I still have to hold my painting against the easel during the worst gusts. I paint a panorama of Pyramid and Davis peaks, hoping that I can keep the canvas from flying away before I finish.

No comments: