Sunday, August 21, 2011

Beauty and Bounty Exhibit

Just got back from a visit to Seattle to see "Beauty and Bounty" an exhibit of 19th and early 20th century landscape paintings at the Seattle Art Museum.  I LOVED it.  A good-sized sampling of Thomas Moran, Albert Bierstadt, and their contemporaries.  Some of the paintings are from private collections, and some are lesser-known works , and some are just amazing.  And of course, they're best in person.


It was interesting to go through the exhibit several times.  First, I just appreciated the paintings, enjoying their beauty and expression.  Next, I went through, looking at technique and compositional choices.  Last, I went through more quickly, noticing which paintings grabbed my attention and held it, trying to figure out why.

The exhibit is there through Sept 11.  Highly recommended for landscape painters.

No comments: